Get adventurous with the protein packed grain
If you want to implement more protein into your diet, try this bistro quinoa with beets and goat’s cheese salad to get more adventurous in your diet. Replacing greens with quinoa turns culinary classic into a heartier dish with a completely different personality. For the deepest, sweetest flavour, the beetroots are roasted rather than boiled or steamed. Plus if you like, you can swap the almonds for walnuts.
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the dressing:
2tbsp white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
1tbsp extra- light cream
1tbsp agave nectar
¾tsp mustard powder
¼tsp dried sage
For the salad:
3 medium beetroots, tops and roots removed
1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
560g cooked quinoa
60g chopped toasted almonds
freshly ground black pepper
a ‘log’ of fresh goat’s cheese
1 bunch fresh basil (about 64 leaves)
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C. In a baking sheet, lay out a sheet foil large enough to wrap around the beetroot.
2) Place the beets in the foil, and rub them with the olive until completely coated. Fold the foil into a parcel around the beets and crimp it closed. Roast the roots until they are tender. Depending on the size, beetroot can take up to an hour. When they’re done, remove from the oven and carefully open the hot foil packet. Allow to cool until they’re safe to handle. Rub each one with your fingers to slip off it’s jacket. Set aside for now.
3) In a large bowl, toss together the quinoa, almonds and currants. Season with salt and pepper. Slice the beetroots in half from top to bottom, and cut each half into ½cm- thick crescents. Cut the goat’s cheese log into ½cm- thick rounds, and cut each round in half.
4) In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, white wine vinegar, extra -light cream, agave, mustad powder and sage. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
5) Divide the quinoa mixture between four plates. Arrange the beetroot rounds on top, then the goats cheese rounds. Tear and scatter the basil evenly across the plates. Serve with the dressing on the side.