Get Your Taco and Eat it Too!
Eating healthy doesn’t always have to be a crazy difficult chore as much as we sometimes build it up to be. Having great tasting and yet easy recipes at hand can make or break your low body-fat goals.
Let’s look at 7 different and delicious chicken taco recipes that are totally healthy and pack a nutrition punch!
When it comes to these kinds of comfort foods, it only takes a few simple steps to optimize their nutritional content in a way that supports a healthy lifestyle.
- Make sure you use good healthy fat like extra-virgin olive oil or this fat-burning Nutiva Organic Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil.
- Maximize the amount and variety of vegetables in your dishes to keep things interesting. Focus on fresh ingredients only, including fresh herbs, peppers, and leafy greens, all of which are great for boosting metabolism.
- Lastly, always make sure you include a healthy side dish, like a leafy green salad or one of these Quinoa Salad Recipes. This ensures that you’re getting all the rich nutrients and vitamins you can get.
Chicken Taco Recipes to Enjoy on a Healthy Diet
For all of these recipes, you’re going to prepare the chicken the same way. Depending on the number of people you’ll be serving, aim for 2 to 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts.
I recommend first tenderizing the chicken with a meat tenderizer, then coating it in a bit of olive oil (1 teaspoon per chicken breast). Then season the chicken with oregano, chipotle chilies, and Cajun spice (as desired). Place the chicken on a piece of parchment paper in a shallow baking dish, and bake at 350 degree for about 30 minutes.
When cooked through, remove the chicken from the oven, slice into strips, and use in the following taco recipes:
1. Green Chicken Tacos with Guacamole
Ingredients: 2-4 whole grain tortilla wraps, 2 ripe avocados (peeled, pits removed), 2 tablespoons of olive oil, ½ cup of chopped cilantro, 1 teaspoon of salt, ½ red onion (chopped), ½ jalapeno (chopped, seeds removed), 1 cup of fresh baby spinach
Directions: In a small bowl, mash avocado and mix with olive oil, ¼ cup of chopped cilantro, salt, onion, and jalapeno. Refrigerate the guacamole for 30 minutes. Top the wraps with chicken, guacamole, baby spinach, and cilantro.
2. Hard Tacos with Black Bean & Corn Salsa
Ingredients: 4 hard corn taco shells, 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed), 1 can of sweet corn (drained), 1 cup of premade medium salsa
Directions: In a bowl, mix together salad, black beans, and corn. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then top chicken with salsa in hard taco shells.
3. Soft Chicken Tacos with Sautéed Veggies