Healthy Hummus Recipes
When you’re trying to lose weight or burn fat, cravings and snacking can be a major hurdle to overcome. But the good news is that with some good planning there are some pretty awesome healthy and satisfying recipes to help you out.
I think you’d agree with me that hummus is one of those options that’s a bit more on the fun side of things because of it’s unique texture and flavor. It’s an extremely versatile snack that comes with a ton of benefits for your health, and can actually help you keep the gut in check. Here are the details…
The Health Benefits of Hummus
- Hummus is high in fiber, which will keep your digestive system healthy and your stomach feeling full. In fact, fiber expands in your stomach, reducing the likelihood for cravings afterward. Plus it boosts your metabolism, burning more calories in the process.
- It also boosts metabolism with its high protein content. The protein comes from the chick peas, so hummus is a great protein solution for vegans or anyone wanting to increase their intake of plant-based foods.
- The extra virgin olive oil, a key ingredient in these hummus recipes, is a healthy non-saturated fat that actually helps you burn more calories during digestion. These kinds of healthy fats have also been shown to redistribute fat away from your waistline.
- Most hummus recipes call for fresh garlic, and garlic offers fantastic support for your immune system. Other recipes call for herbs, peppers, and spices that are great for increasing your body’s fat-burning potential!
- Overall, hummus is a great low-fat, unprocessed, whole foods snacking option that you can do in a number of different ways. It’s also easily portable, making it a great snacking or lunch option on the go.
I don’t know about you but I’m already sold with just these in mind and can’t wait to make it to have on hand when my cravings for something salty kick in so let’s look at some super creative recipes…
5 Healthy Hummus Recipes
For all of these hummus recipes, simply combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until creamy and smooth (or to your desired consistency). You can easily multiply the recipes for additional servings.
1. Classic Hummus
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup of tahini
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
2. Greek Hummus